Respond:
-Why is it important to employ several assessment strategies when teaching art?
I believe that this is important because every child learns differently. Personally, while I was in High School I realized that I am a visual learner and once I figured that out I was able to become much more successful in my studies.
-How will you know what your students have learned?
I'll use my objective goals along with State and National standards. Besides using these I plan on also incorporating their previous knowledge with what they know now. Much like Mrs. Unrath had her students create their best figure before they began the actual lesson so they could pick apart, together as a class, what the students knew now in comparison of what they can potentially know.
-What does successful learning look like?
Successful learning has the appearance of students utilizing their time wisely by asking questions pertaining to their artwork. When students ask questions it tells me that they're interested and willing to learn new things! Another way I feel like successful learning looks like are when the students are actively engaged in their artwork!
-What different assessment strategies will you utilize in your unit plan?
Some assessment strategies that my Tiger Artist Group and I used in our unit plan include:
1. When having students write name on name card include our:
"I am a ______ because I _________" (ex. I am a Nike because I run fast)
To assess their knowledge of what they know at the beginning of the lesson in
comparison to the end of the lesson.
2. Identifying students current values and beliefs in addition to their hopes for the
future with regard to identity through their "Foot Art"
-How have you experienced or seen assessment used?
The only time that I've recalled seeing assessment used within the art classroom only include state and national standards. And even with those supposedly being assessed it's hard to try and incorporate that as much as possible whenever you're interacting with the students. I personally would prefer a more personal level of knowledge with each individual students instead of assessing the students as a whole.
While reading Chapter one within Activity 3 on page 8 described the assessment:
"This assessment assignment, which derives from the essential questions, requires
students to apply the ideas about rules and systems to a new context."
Using the essential questions in this lesson plan along with any other lesson plan a teacher uses, helps assess the ending progress. I personally would find it interesting to do questionnaires at the beginning of my lesson and then have students read their answers at the end so they realize how much they've actually learned!
Assessment is important because the teacher needs to know what the students KNOW and ARE ABLE TO DO in order to help them grow and learn. You wrote in answer to this question: "What does successful learning look like?
ReplyDeleteSuccessful learning has the appearance of students utilizing their time wisely by asking questions pertaining to their artwork. When students ask questions it tells me that they're interested and willing to learn new things! Another way I feel like successful learning looks like are when the students are actively engaged in their artwork!" They also need to see the target clearly in order to shoot for it. This means that they need to understand what success looks like. A rubric with a description that describes what an excellent piece contains is one way. You could also ask your students to rate a series of pieces for quality, attaching grades to each. Then the students should clearly deliniate what qualities the A work possesses. This way the students would understand what a successful work should look like.