I chose to use one of the items in the cast gallery called "Two Goddesses" that originated from the east pediment at the Parthenon. The big idea that I want to portray in this art form is the idea of how clothing directly affects the body. When looking at this particular piece the true beauty of it is simply the draping of it on the body. I think that this idea of the clothing being the true beauty also plays in with Nick Cave and how he uses the idea of clothing to be art.
I would utilize the artwork by using the same idea as we have for the Tiger Artist by having the students re create the work by use of draping and found objects. Almost in such a way to create their inner "Toga Self". I would also like to tie in some art history from the Greek and Roman times about togas and how they originated as well.
Some essential questions that my students could investigate on are:
Can clothing be considered art?
How do different artistic techniques affect clothing?
How do previous clothing ideas affect the art world?
How can I portray myself through clothing?
What found objects can I use to describe myself through this art form?
In this lesson I hope that my students learn that art can be described in many different ways. Art is more then just a mental thought expressed through drawing and painting but is considered to be just about anything! I also would like them to achieve some knowledge on the basic art history of togas and the use of art through clothing.


The idea of clothing across time and culture would be a great connection to Nick Cave as he is covering the human figure a well. The students could consider what kinds of outerwear was developed based on time and weather conditions perhaps going to Anthropology and looking at the Seal intestine parka that was developed by the Innuit people to protect them from the elements. It is also decorated with feathers leading to the idea that it is basic human nature to accessorize:) or to make special. I would like to see you make connections to the reading in Walker text as well.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI am very interested in seeing that you would explore “Two Goddesses” in terms of clothing as art. As Dr Unrath mentioned I can clearly see a powerful connection to beautiful artworks of Nick Cave. I agree with your idea that it could be an exciting lesson for children to investigate clothing as art and meaningful to compare different cultures and times. Various visual images related to clothing and history of clothing you would provide can be also good ways to motivate kids to happily make their own artworks.
ReplyDeleteI love how for your Tiger Artist project how you would want to tie in art history from the Roman and Greek times. But with 7 to 12 year olds I feel like it would have to be a very interative activity so they will remember the history easier.
ReplyDeleteAnother essential questions could be: "What are you saying by the cloths you are wearing?" "Can clothing say different things to different people?"
Do you have any ideas how this lesson would play out? Like would they decorate these togas with what they wanted to be like, what they are like, or more of what historically togas were like?
Over all I like how you would tie in clothing, with Roman and Greek art history and found objects!